• Welcome to the Elementary School Health Office

    Jennifer Nusbickel, RN

    Nurse Jennifer Nusbickel, R.N.
    Email:  jnusbickel@cal-mum.org

  • Immunization Chart - Student Requirements for Public School

    All students are required by law to be immunized against polio, diphtheria, measles, German measles (Rubella), and mumps.  School districts may not admit students without proof of immunization.
    In addition, sixth graders are required to have a TDap booster and two Varicella immunizations BEFORE starting sixth grade.

  • When to keep your child home from school 

    • Fever - A student with a temperature of 100° F or above will be excluded from school. The student's temperature must be below 100 degrees for a full 24 hours (without taking a fever reducing medication) before returning to school.

    • Colds/Flu - Frequent, hard cough or chest congestion. Large amounts of discolored nasal drainage, especially with facial pain, headache of fever. 

    • Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) A student with red, painful, itchy eyes, especially with discharge or crusting, should have a medical evaluation by a physician. Children with infectious conjunctivitis are considered contagious and will be excluded until 24 hours after treatment has begun.

    • Vomiting - A child must be excluded from school if vomiting two or more times in 24 hours unless a physician feels the cause is not an infectious disease and the child is in no danger of becoming dehydrated. Your child may be sent home from school for vomiting one time.

    • Diarrhea - A child with any diarrhea illness will be excluded from school until they are diarrhea free for 24 hours.

    • Strep Throat/Impetigo - If your child is diagnosed with strep throat or Impetigo, they must be on antibiotics for a full 24 hours before returning to school. This means if they are diagnosed today they can not return tomorrow. Please notify the school nurse if your child is diagnosed with strep or impetigo.

    • Head Lice - If your child has a known or suspected case of head lice, please notify the school nurse. If your child has active head lice, it is recommended that they be treated with a medicated shampoo or lotion. 

    • Rash - Students with a questionable rash should be referred to a physician for a medical diagnosis and determine if the rash is caused by an infectious disease.

    Please note: Your child will be sent home from school if they have any of these symptoms for the health of your child and the health of all the other children in school. 

    Physical Requirements for Entering School 

    Physicals (Download the physical form)

    New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time, when entering Prek-K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades and for all sports, working permits and every 3 years for the Committee of Special Education. Dental certificates which states your child has been seen by a dentist or dental hygienist is also requested at the same time as grade level requirements. Forms are available below.

    It is recommended that your child goes to their own physician for a complete physical. If you prefer, a licensed medical professional will be at our school when it is decided that it is safe for us to do so due to COVID-19. 

    Vision and Hearing Screenings will be given to students in grades K, 1, 3 and 5 and all newly enrolled students.

    What Immunizations Does My Child Need to Enter School? (Click the link below for a complete list of required immunizations

    NYS immunizations (2023-2024) required to enter school

    For Incoming 6th graders:

    New York State Public Health Law, section 2164 requires students enrolled in the 6th grade and are 11 years old to be immunized against tetanus, diptheria and pertussis (Tdap booster) and 2 doses of the varicella vaccine.

    Please have your primary care physician send an updated copy of your child's immunization record which includes the Tdap and varicella vaccines before the start of the school year. They will not be allowed to enter school without it.

    If your child is not yet old enough to receive the Tdap immunization, please notify the school nurse of the date your child is scheduled to receive it. 

    Medications at school:

    School Nurses are prohibited by New York State Law from administering medications to school children without written authorization from your family physician. This applies to prescription and over-the-counter medication (Tylenol, Advil, eye drops, cold medicine etc). 

    • An adult must drop off the medication. Your child is not allowed to carry medication to and from school.

    • Medication must be in the original container with your child's name on it.

    • Over the counter medication must be in an unopened bottle.

    • A new medication order must be filled out each year by your physician.

    • Parent /Guardian must fill out the medication authorization form.

    • Medications must be picked up at the end of the year or they will be disposed of. 


    Physical Form

    Dental Form


    NYS Immunization List for School Entrance